Last weekend I took a trip out to the suburbs to run the Brookline Breeze 5k with my GFs Lesley and Brittany. Highlight of the race? Finally meeting Brittany’s pup, Elvis. It was love at first sight.
Lesley is a machine. She ran a 19:31 and placed 3rd overall for women. I had a pretty good race. Not that good, but still a PR for this girl! I ran a 21:50, placed 14th overall and 5th in my age group then had a beer at lunch.
I had never done the Brookline Breeze before, and I will NEVER do it again. How about some hits and misses?
- I hadn’t done a 5k in about a year, so I was primed for a PR. Felt really great to get under the 22 minute mark for the first time.
- Ice cream and pizza at the finish line. OK, it was sherbet, not real ice cream, but better than the usual.
- Absurd local band called The Wurms. Humor factor is important.
- THE HILL. The first half mile BURNED. This beast slowed me down quite a bit. I was hacking up a lung for the entire race. And the hour that followed. Cute.
- Knowing I could run faster if it was flat. Now I have to find another and do it all over again. Life is hard.
It was a beautiful morning and I loved getting in a fast summer race with my running girls, but next year we’ll find a better one for sure.